- friend, pal, acquaintance, companion, peer, ally, confidant.
- Buddy Bolden (1877-1931), Cornetist, New Orleans, considered by many to be the “father” of Jazz, committed to asylum for schizophrenia until his death, very little known of him or his music.
- Buddy. a lit zine.
- Buddy respects all people who face any MH issue either personally or second-hand.
- Buddy celebrates the use of writing and poetics to cope with and address MH.
- Buddy attempts to increase awareness of the abilities of those affected by MH.
- Educate about MH and creative writing and how they interact with each other.
- Curate community programs such as readings and panel discussions.
- Connect MH patients to more literature while hospitalized.
- Connect MH facilities and the literary community.
- Connect people via more interpersonal social interactions.
- Living with – not suffering from – mental illness
- Keep writing, no matter what
- David Welper, Founding/Chief Editor
- David was raised in the Detroit area, where he earned an MA from Wayne State University. He is a Pushcart nominated poet and psychiatric nurse (BSN, University of Colorado). He’s worked with Arts non-profits, has been an editor and event organizer. He occasionally writes book reviews. He’s lived in NYC, Denver, Raleigh and Albuquerque. He now lives in the Bay Area. His book, Lookbaby, can be found on www.DavidWelper.com
- Laura A. Zink, Assistant Fiction Editor
- Laura A. Zink lives in Oakland, California. She is a Beast Crawl Literary Festival organizer and an editor for MARY: A Journal of New Writing. Her recent fiction has appeared in Broad River Review, Full of Crow, sPARKLE & bLINK, and the Naked Bulb 2016 Summer Anthology.
- Victorya Chase, Assistant Fiction Editor
- I’m a writer. I’m a teacher. I have taught doctors how to write poetry. I have taught fiction classes to university students. I have taught adults how to write about themselves. I love creative writing research and have published in that realm. I’ve also presented at conferences across the country, both academic and in the speculative realm. Writer, author of Marta Martinez Saves the World. victoryachase.com
- Adam Crittenden, Assistant Poetry Editor
- Adam Crittenden holds an MFA in poetry from New Mexico State University where he was awarded an Academy of American Poets Prize. His work has appeared in decomP, Bayou Magazine, Barn Owl Review, Whiskey Island, and other journals. Blood Eagle is his first full-length book of poetry and is available now from Gold Wake Press. Currently, he teaches writing in Albuquerque at Central New Mexico Community College. Twitter: @AdamACrittenden
- Alison Moncrieff, Assistant Poetry Editor & Art Editor
- Alison Moncrieff writes, paints, and tends chicken & children in Oakland, California. She is painting every day of 2017. Visit that project at @alimoncrieffpaints on Instagram. Her paintings have a been exhibited in a solo show at the Inkblot Gallery in Alameda and have appeared or are forthcoming in The East Bay Review and Free State Review. Her writing has appeared or is forthcoming in The East Bay Review, Bay Area Generations, Rivet Journal, Entropy, and Manifest Station. Her first poetry chapbook Cherrystem was published by Finishing Line Press in May 2017, and her second chapbook Don Draper Checks The Window will be published by Dancing Girl Press in Fall 2017.
- J de Salvo, Assistant Editor
- J de Salvo’s stories, poems, essays, and articles have been published extensively in print and online. In addition to his work on Buddy, he is the publisher and an editor at the Pedestrian Press, and its annual journal of the Oakland literary and arts community, Oakland Review.